This amazing woman is my Aunt Carol (A.C. as she was fondly called). The picture was taken at our wedding reception. I am so grateful to Tania for taking it because she was a very special person in my life. She was so excited when she found out that I was engaged because I had been talking with her for years of how much I wanted to be a wife and a mother. She heard about several of my heartaches and always made me feel beautiful and worthwhile as I was traveling the long road to finding my husband.
On December 13, 2010, she was called home by Heavenly Father. It was such a sad time and so sudden that I think we're still reeling from it. We had had our family Christmas party about a week before and she was doing fine, but I received a call from my sister the evening of December 12th saying that she had a stroke that morning and was in the hospital. We knew that she might never walk again and that she would never be able to live by herself again, but when we got to the hospital, we found that this would be our time to say good-bye. When I walked into the room, I saw this beautiful woman confined to a body that would not respond. She could hardly move, she couldn't talk, and she was having a hard time breathing. The room was full of love as her family surrounded her, and I was able to hold her hand and tearfully tell her good-bye. She was able to turn her head towards the sound of my voice and I think she knew I was there. I am forever grateful that Josh and I were able to go to the hospital and I was able to tell her how much I loved her! I wasn't able to do that with my Aunt Gayle (her sister who had passed away earlier that year) and it still makes me sad.
Aunt Carol was a wonderful mother, grandmother, sister and aunt. She treated me and my siblings more like grandchildren then nieces and nephew. She loved unconditionally and always had time to listen. She made beautiful porcelain dolls and could crochet, knit and sew better than anyone I know. She was a true artist and it was so neat to see what new things she had created. She loved having her hair and nails done and her favorite color was red. She was intelligent and kind and made the world a better place by being in it. She is very dearly missed and I am awed by the strength of my mom who lost two sisters last year. I can't begin to comprehend how hard that would be! And yet she continues to live life with happiness and joy and she knows she will see them again. I love you, Mom, and am grateful to Heavenly Father for sending me to your family!
I was given a wonderful surprise at my baby shower in February. As I opened the card of the last gift I received, tears filled my eyes when I saw that it was from Aunt Carol. The card spoke of how happy she was for me and how she had met Drako and knew of his sweet spirit. And I discovered a blanket she had made when I unwrapped the present. I later found out that she had started it, but was unable to finish it before she passed away, so my cousin finished it and made sure I got it. My cousin, Kathy, said that as she was writing the card, she was having a difficult time knowing what to say, but as she thought of Aunt Carol, the words came easily. She said it was as if her mom was writing the card. This was so special for me and the family members who were at the shower! All of us were in tears after I finished reading the card aloud and we heard my cousin's story. I will forever cherish that blanket and card and am so grateful for Kathy for doing that for me!
August/September
9 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment