Josh and I saved up enough money to buy new couches for Christmas last year. Our old ones had been given to us for our wedding (which was very much appreciated) but had turned a dull gray instead of the white they were originally. They had also been scratched by our cat and since we were getting her declawed, we thought it would be a good time to buy new ones. So the weekend after Thanksgiving we went to the big sale down at Furniture Row. We found these nice, brown couches and an ottoman to match. We were excited when the salesman told us they would be delivered in two weeks.
Well, those two weeks passed with no couches. Another two weeks passed with no couches. Christmas passed and no couches. Finally, after three calls to the store from Josh and a refund of the delivery charge, our Christmas presents were delivered the week after Christmas.
We're glad that we bought these couches and that they eventually made it to our apartment because they're very comfortable and look great. As you can see, the ottoman makes a great table. That was my pile of stuff when I was on bedrest.
Christmas ended up being a great time even though we didn't have our presents for each other. We had received a much better present in that I was discharged from the hospital after a two day stay and that the baby was still inside of me rather than being born at 34 weeks. I had been discharged on Christmas Eve after being admitted because the baby's heartrate had decelerated during my first monitoring session. We were not entirely gift less though. One morning as Josh stepped out the door to go to work, he found an envelope on our doorstep. Inside were gift cards to Wal-Mart and Smith's and some money. We were shocked but very grateful to our anonymous benefactor since I had to stop working long before I had intended too. Heavenly Father was watching out for our little family and we were blessed beyond anything we could have imagined!
Christmas Eve found us home but with no gifts wrapped. Luckily we had bought all of our gifts for our families earlier in December and Josh talked his mom and brothers to come help us wrap them. Kim came with ingredients to make us a yummy holiday dinner with all the trimmings and she and the boys got right to work. It was a fun way to spend Christmas Eve!
On Christmas morning, Josh and I both discovered cards in our stockings. We were going to fill each other's stockings that last week before Christmas, but with the hospitalization and bedrest, it didn't get done. It was neat to see that we had both thought of the other, though, with those special cards.
We were able to go to my parents for their traditional dinner and opening gifts. I had to stay on the couch, which wasn't too fun, but I enjoyed being around my loved ones and seeing my niece and nephew's faces light up with the gifts they received. I didn't take any pictures, but my sister-in-law did and these are two of my favorites.
August/September
9 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment