Our good friend, Susa, goes to Africa every year to volunteer at a deaf school. She's a deaf educator and has a great time going there for several weeks every summer. She works with kids from elementary to high school and besides teaching, she has fun dancing and playing soccer with them. Susa is a BIG soccer fan and she usually she takes soccer balls, cleats, and other donations with her. We wanted to help out, but didn't get a chance before she left, so Josh and I decided to send her a package.
Once deciding how big of a box to send (shipping to Africa is pretty expensive) we headed to the Dollar Store. We had a great night picking out everything to fill it with. We wanted to send things they needed-like paper and crayons-but also fun things that they don't have in Ghana-like Pixie Sticks, Sour Gumballs and Glow Sticks. Once we spread our purchases out on the table, I was sure they wouldn't fit into the box, but Josh carefully arranged it all to fit perfectly. We were even able to add a couple packages of batteries that Susa needed as well.
Once we sent it, it took a few weeks to get to Susa and she still had to pay to get it out of customs. She was grateful for it and said that the kids loved it. We weren't able to send enough for everyone (there's about 600 students in the two schools) but she was able to distribute everything pretty evenly. Then about a month after she got back, Susa came to our house to share a pizza and pictures.
These first few pictures are to show a little of the conditions where Susa was.
Here's a picture of Susa with some of the students.
Josh and I had a great time putting the package together and listening to Susa's stories! We'll definitely send another one next year. Seeing these pictures makes me realize just how blessed I am. I have so many things that these students don't and don't even know if I could manage without the conveniences I've become so accustomed to. I will forever be grateful to a loving Heavenly Father from whence these blessings come!

That was so nice of you to send that package.
ReplyDeleteI saw a picture of Josh with his beard on Courtney's blog. Wow :)
that was nice of you to send that package. The pictures of the kids using your gifts were so cute.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are awesome. :-)
ReplyDelete