Sunday, October 18, 2009

Proposal

One year ago today, Josh proposed. I've relived that special, wonderful day several times today and would like to share it with all of you who read our blog. (And thank you for doing that, by the way! I love reading your comments!) We actually knew we were going to be married about two weeks before this date. On October 6, Josh and I started talking about marriage, and he posed the question to me of where I saw our relationship going. He had been praying and fasting about us for a couple weeks and already knew we were meant to be together. That day he asked me to to do the same, so I took a couple days and poured out my heart to Heavenly Father, fervently seeking an answer.

And on October 8, I received that answer. I had gone to the temple after work and while I was in the Celestial Room, I was prompted to think of how I'd been feeling over the last two days. I had felt calm, peace and hope during that time, and I knew that He would have let me know if it was the wrong decision. Then the words of my patriarchal blessing came to mind-specifically those which describe my eternal companion-and I realized that they described Josh. It was such an incredible moment!

Josh and I talked after I got home and originally planned on getting married in May, after he had graduated from the police academy. But the next day we changed our minds and set the date for December 17. Then that weekend we went ring shopping, and Josh asked me to not tell anyone that we were engaged until he had "officially" proposed. That was such a difficult promise to keep! I had pretty much given up the hope of ever getting married and wanted to shout to the world that I would soon be Mrs. Joshua Woodland.

Well, unbeknownst to me, Josh was scheming with my roommate, Tania, and much sooner than I had expected, I was able to deliver my amazing news. That next week, I went to Chicago with Tania on a quick vacation to see Wicked. I had a lot of fun, but as you can imagine, all my thoughts were on Josh and the wedding. The night of the 18th we returned home and somehow Tania got me to walk into the house by myself without any luggage. As soon as I rounded the corner, I saw the soft glow through the window, and as soon as I opened the door, I entered into a fairytale where the only light was candlelight. There were dozens of beautiful, red roses expertly arranged, with hundreds of tea light candles surrounding them. Love songs played softly in the background and streamers in our wedding colors hung from ceiling.


Josh was nowhere to be found and as I started looking for him, he walked into the kitchen from the front room looking incredibly hot in slacks and a button-up shirt. He led me to the family room and knelt on one knee. He then took my hand in his and read me the most amazing poem he had written. At the end he asked me if I would marry him. I said of course when I should have said yes, but it had the same meaning to us. :) He then pulled the ring out of his pocket and slid it on my finger.


I can't believe the time and effort Josh put into this perfect proposal. He even had to clean the house before he could decorate it! That night I slept on the couch amidst the signs of Josh's love. I could feel how much he loved me in those rooms and never wanted it to end! And I am so lucky that it never has!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that special evening and moment with us. It looked very romantic. I'm so happy for the both of you and that both of you are so in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWW! how romantic...I love the woman's version of the story, it always has so much more detail!

    ReplyDelete