We decided to wear jeans and boots since it had rained earlier that day and we thought it would be muddy and cold. Boy were we wrong; it was hot and not muddy at all. But even though we sweated a little more than we needed too, we had a great time.
The trail isn't very long-only 1 mile out and back-but it is steep and ascends 400 feet pretty quickly. The view from the top is incredible! You can see the entire valley with the capitol building in the center. There was a cute, old couple already at the top and they had brought binoculars so they could see all of the temples in the valley. Josh and I both decided that we would still like to be hiking when we're as old as they are.
At the top is a 15-foot rock marker with a historical plaque and other signs pointing out prominent sites in the valley. It is a fun little adventure for the day and if any of you want the same information, the book is called Best Easy Day Hikes Salt Lake City and we bought it at Barnes and Noble.
On the 24th of July we went camping with Josh's family at Mahogany Cove Campground on Beaver Mountain. We stayed the three day weekend and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and fresh air of the mountains. Of course we took Big Blue and it did a great job. It seats 5, so Josh's mom, Kim, his brother, Nate, and Nate's friend, Josh, drove down with us. It took about three-and-a-half hours to get there and the campground had been reserved, so it was only our family. We were the second family to get up there and had our pick of the campsites. After picking the best one, we started setting up camp. I haven't been camping since my young women days, but I am happy to tell you that I can still set up a "mean" tent!
Okay, okay, I can't take all the credit because my sweet hubby helped. But I was pretty proud of myself. The experience was much better than my earlier camping days because we had a queen-size air mattress and a sleeping bag for two. It is so much easier to sleep when there aren't rocks sticking in your back! And the temperature was about 15 degrees cooler than in Salt Lake which was a welcome change.
The second day of our trip, we drove to a reservoir about an hour away. Those with licenses went fishing and I tried my hand at kayaking. I had done it before, but in a two-man kayak, and wasn't sure if I could keep a one-man kayak afloat. Thankfully there were no dunkings, and I absolutely loved it! The day was beautiful and I rowed the entire perimeter of the reservoir.
Kim and Nate also went kayaking and Josh helped those who were fishing, fix many snagged and knotted lines. But those diligent fishermen did a great job and caught seven rainbow trout which they later enjoyed chowing down on. Josh and I decided to wait for the dutch oven dinner being prepared and stuffed ourselves with delicious chicken, potatoes and apple crisp. Kim also made a salad out of Snicker's, pudding and apples. I know it sounds like a weird combination, but it was incredible!
That evening Josh and I took Nate and his friend, and Nate's cousin, Jordan, shooting. We had brought our 22-rifle and targets and Nate's friend had never been shooting before, so Josh had a great time being their teacher. All three boys had a fun time and took their targets home with them.
We had such a fun time and I know we'll be taking Big Blue out again so we can enjoy more of the beautiful nature in Utah. Here are some more pictures of the reservoir and our campsite.

That sounds very fun!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a great time. I've never heard of that place.
ReplyDelete